Hey FaceTory Fam! 💝
So, large pores. Sigh. Like, why are they there, why are they black, and are they as big as we think?😩 We feel the struggle and we’re here to help! Read on for some of our top tips.
Okay, sure. These little guys can be extremely annoying but they actually have an important role for your skin! Pores allow sebum (oil) to travel to the surface of your skin to help protect and moisturize your skin. But unfortunately, sweat, makeup, dirt, and dead skin cells can get trapped inside, leading to breakouts, whiteheads, and blackheads. 🙅♀️
Now, here’s the important part! We’re sorry to say that you can’t actually shrink your pores. The whole “shrinking pores/closing pores” stuff is a myth. Plus you wouldn’t want to “close them up” or else your skin would get extremely dry! Pore sizes are mainly genetic, so you can’t actually change them, but you can do things to help reduce their appearance by making sure they are unclogged and clean!🙌 So, here are our tips for minimizing the appearance of pores:
- Cleanse daily - when you don’t cleanse your face, dirt, grime, and dead skin cells will clog up your pores. To prevent this, cleanse your face to remove buildup. And please make sure all makeup is removed before going to bed!
- Exfoliate with BHA - this will allow all the dead skin cells blocking your pores to loosen up and come out. Exfoliate often but don’t overdo it as over-exfoliating can irritate your skin and dry it out. Start with 2-3 times a week, see how your skin likes it, and adjust the frequency if needed.
- Add extra steps to your routine - Try out a clay mask or a facial steamer! These will help clean out your pores, removing any dirt and grime (plus you’ll feel like you’re in a spa)!
- Apply sunscreen - ultraviolet rays can damage the skin and diminish elastin and collagen which helps keep your skin plump and tight! Sun damage will make your skin weak and thin and the thinner your skin, the bigger the pore will look because there is no support.
- Oil blotting sheets- blotting sheets help get rid of excess oil. Just pat it on the surface of your face, starting at your T-zone. Don’t blot too often though as some oil is necessary to moisturize and hydrate your skin.
- Retinol - This powerful ingredient helps increase cell turnover (the production of new skin cells) and as a result, fades dark spots, heals acne and unclogs pores (making them appear smaller, yay)! But just a warning, this ingredient can be a bit strong for some skin types so we recommend starting off with a product that contains a small concentration of retinol. Also, your skin will be a lot more sensitive to sunlight so don't forget to apply sunscreen when using retinol!
- Go to a professional - professionals can always help you! If you feel like your situation is severe, try going in for a consultation and see what options they may have.
And there you have it! Some of our tips for minimizing the look of pores. Just remember that everyone has them and your pores are probably not as bad as you think! 🙂 The main point is to work on making sure your skin is clean and as healthy as possible. It’s all about the process so be patient! Thanks for reading and as always, just keep glowing! ✨