Hey FaceTory Fam!
Today, I'll be talking about a very common skin concern. Blackheads. If it seems daunting, don't fret! I'm here to help break it down and give you some tips for ridding those stubborn guys. So, let's begin with answering some basic questions!
How do you get rid of blackheads?
Let's be honest, it is definitely a question that many have touched upon. You can find super detailed blogs and articles all over the place! Today, I'm going to give you the gist, super quick and super simple! Read on to find out more!
First, what exactly is a blackhead???
A blackhead is a the sum of all these put together: pores + excess oil + dead skin + air.
Blackheads appear when your pores are clogged and buildup gets trapped, thus you get a dark pigment from all the mixture of oil, dust, dead skin cells, air, etc. If it sounds gross, then well, yeah, it's kind of gross. BUT the tips I'm going to mention will help tremendously, so stay with me now!
First, I must talk about what you have to AVOID when it comes to dealing with blackheads.
- Extracting/ squeezing it yourself. I know, I know. As gross as it is, sometimes it's quite satisfying to remove it or watch it be removed! We see it all over social media, but keep in mind that a professional should be doing the extractions. I strongly advise not extracting the blackhead yourself! It will only cause your skin barrier more damage and possibly spread bacteria.Yikes.
- Say no to blackhead strips. I repeat, do not use blackhead strips! It was definitely all the rage to use them in the past, but let's keep that for the past, shall we? It's overall very bad for your skin barrier, no matter how satisfying it may be.
- Avoid pore-clogging products. This may be more trial and error, but just keep in mind that your skin needs hydration and moisture. Look for skincare products that add hydration and then find a basic moisturizer that you love! Sheet masks, toner, serums, essences are great at hydrating!
- Do not dry out your skin. Sometimes we think drying out our skin will help minimize oil and then minimize blackheads. Don't go there! This is far from the truth. In fact, drying out your skin actually causes more oil production.
Whew, now that we got that out of the way, let's go into how you can FIX it!
- Always cleanse and apply sunscreen. Cleansing your skin morning and night will help remove any dirt, dust, and gunk that was sitting on your face, preventing clogged pores. Sunscreen is suuuuuper important in the morning and throughout the day to help protect your skin from sun damage. It will also help minimize any dark spots that you may have!
- Use BHA. BHA, also known as Beta Hydroxy Acids, is an ingredient that helps unclog pores and exfoliates the skin. This step is important for removing dead skin cells from the surface of your skin. BHA does a great job doing this and helping minimize blemishes!
- Try Oil Cleansing. This is a trick I like doing when my pores feel extra clogged!
- Keep your skin hydrated. This is one of the most important tips. Keeping your skin hydrated won't only aid in minimize blackheads but it will help with pretty much most of your skincare troubles (i.e. redness, blemishes, sensitivity, dark spots, excess oil production, dryness, aging, the list just goes on!)
Don't forget, we all have different skin types so it's important to learn as much as you can about YOUR skin-- what it needs, and what it likes. From there, try out tips you read about what see what works! And always listen to your skin! <3
Follow us on TikTok and Instagram to learn about more tips! @myfacetory
Other blogs to check out:
Different Types of Acne Scars