What Are Hydrocolloid Patches? And Do They Work?
If you’re like us and you love putting stickers on your notebook, laptop, and phone; you might just enjoy putting stickers on your face! Oh, and it also comes with the bonus of helping heal your pimples. Sweet right? But what are hydrocolloid patches and what makes them so special?? Well, have you ever had a pimple and had the urge to pick and scratch? Same😭. In that case, hydrocolloid patches, A.K.A acne patches, are your best friends to keep you from further damaging your skin. Here’s the lowdown:
What’s an Acne Patch and what are they made of?
- Acne patches are made of hydrocolloid material that help minimize pimples and jump start the healing process. Think of it as a tiny pimple-sized band-aid, without the band-aid pain!
- The hydrocolloid material absorbs excess fluid from your pimple and traps it in as a gel-like substance to prevent further irritation.
- By patching up your pimple, you don’t have to worry about accidentally touching or scratching your face with grimy hands (ew!). This keeps it from further exposure to bacteria (yay!).
There’s so many out there! Are they all the same?
Acne patches come in different shapes, ingredients, and sizes! Same as people and same as pimples!（★＾▽＾）Here’s some aspects to look out for when buying acne patches:
- Thick or Thin? The thickness or thinness of an acne patch will depend on the type of pimple you’re trying to cover up. The more protruded the spot, the thicker you’ll need to help absorb all the zit gunk. This also affects when you’d want to put your acne patch. In the day time, you might want a thinner acne patch for extra undetectability 😉
- How Sticky? Some acne patches stick really well while some might fall off easily. This can depend on the quality of the acne patch but also depends on what kind of pimple you’re applying the acne patch to! If your pimple is bigger, make sure the acne patch is really sticky to get the most of the fluid out. A less sticky acne patch can be applied on smaller spots, as they’ll be able to adhere to your skin without too much hindrance.
- To bevel or not to bevel? Now we’re starting to get to the different appearances of the acne patch. The difference between a beveled acne patch and a regular acne patch is that, beveled acne patches have a thicker center and thinner edge while a regular acne patch is flat all throughout. These are a little bit more noticeable due to the thicker center so they’re great for nighttime use! 😊
- Special and Ingredient-infused patches! If you want to give your pores the extra T.L.C., some acne patches available can include pimple fighting agents like: Cica, Salicylic Acid, and Aloe Vera, Tea Tree, to name a few. Besides having special ingredients, some acne patches can have micro-needles, or micro-darts, that go deeper into your pores—perfect for those early-stage pimples. Don’t be alarmed though! It won’t hurt and will dissolve into your skin quickly before you can even think to say, “ouch!”. These micro-needles are best for pimples that are still beneath the surface of your skin.
- Make a statement! Now if you really want to look like the human version of your sticker-covered device or notebook, you can have fun with acne patches that have personality—without sacrificing the function! These fun acne patches can come in different colors and shapes (stars and butterflies and flowers, oh my!). While they may lack in special ingredients, they make up for it in style, perfect for the ‘gram 😎
How to Use Acne/Pimple Patches
The most important thing is to follow the instructions on the package! Other than that, it’s best to apply the acne patch on clean skin (right after cleansing and before applying the rest of your skincare). Peel off the patch from its film and apply on your chosen spot.
We hope this cleared up (hehe) any questions you had about acne patches! Thanks so much for reading and remember to Just Keep Glowing! ✨
The FaceTory Team
✨Shop Spot Fighter Blemish Patches✨
AM Spot Fighter Blemish Patches
PM Spot Fighter Blemish Patches